The TSDI Fellows Program aims to develop positive one-on-one relationships between US based volunteers between the ages of 21 and 29 and community leaders in Nigeria. The program will match fellows to Affiliates and their participants based on shared interests, qualifications and experience.
Leveraging structured tools and accessible training and resources, TSDI supports collaborations between local college students, business and nonprofit community and our SI4DEV affiliates abroad. Fellows are mentored by TSDI mentors and have access to training. They work with the TSDI team to develop new projects or expand existing projects within our diverse and influential network.
We provide a forum for collaborative sharing of information, capacity, resources, and experience to make our partners dynamic forces for innovation, social change and development. Fellows will help to ensure that our programs are sustainable and meet local needs by championing local involvement and ownership. They will also support membership drives by identifying, cultivating and linking the Initiative with potential members in their local area.
Other ways you can help include:
a. Building momentum for the Initiative’s programs in your local community
b. Identifying new volunteers and encouraging them to participate in local events;
c. Contributing to proposal writing for grants to benefit programs in their community;
d. Writing and submitting reports on schedule for programs and projects in their local community;
e. Advising the Initiative ambassadors, employees and officers on local strategy;
f. Being available and able to attend meetings via phone conference, offline or online;
To become an fellow, click here to apply.
Fellows sign on for 6 months at varying levels of commitment, full time (four hours a week) or half-time (no less than eight hours a month) to qualify for TSDI reference or recommendation. Fellows will serve as sounding boards for affiliates and their participants' ideas and projects with support from TSDI program staff. Fellows will agree to spend at least two hours a week for six months engaging with the Affiliate participants via email, phone calls, WhatsApp or other IM platforms agreed with the TSDI staff.
Some qualities we will like in our Fellows:
• A sincere desire to be involved with a young African community leader,
• Respect for Africans in general and Nigerians in particular,
• Active listening skills and experience of diverse cultures,
• Ability to see solutions and opportunities,
• Flexibility and understanding of the sometimes-unreliable communications infrastructure in Africa.
What Fellows stand to gain:
• Gain professional experience with an international not-for-profit.
• Benefit from our comprehensive training program.
• Participate in once a month 30-minute peer round-ups and networking.
• Be fully supported by TSDI staff for the duration of the match and get feedback on your work.
• Can continue to support/follow the progress of their match or other volunteers in various ways.
• A greater appreciation for diversity and better grasp of other cultures and current affairs.
• Play in role in the improvement and development of their community and others.
• Improved self-esteem as you are able to transfer learned skills to others areas of life.
In addition, successful fellows will:
• Experience personal growth and understanding of their capabilities
• Feel more productive and have a better attitude to life and work during and after the pairing.
• Receive a job reference or branded letter of commendation.